[openstack-dev] [nova] api schema validation pattern changes

Christopher Yeoh cbkyeoh at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 08:36:32 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 1:12 PM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-01-14 at 11:45 +0800, Christopher Yeoh wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 10:59 AM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >         We don't need API extensions and they make our Compute API
> >         laughably complex and cumbersome. We should ditch entirely the
> >         concept of API extensions in our next Compute API major
> >         release.
> >
> > I think it way too late in the cycle to make this sort of change for
> > the V3 API.
>
> Completely agreed. I never said anything about v3. Specifically, in the
> tl;dr section I said "in the next major API version" we should get rid
> of API extensions.

Ah ok I misunderstood - perhaps because V3 is still experimental I have it
in my head that the V3 API is the next major version so was not thinking you
were referring to something beyond that.

> I've brought up the problems before with API extensions numerous times,
> but unfortunately, I haven't voiced enough concern over the last 18
> months or so, being lost a bit in ops-land. That said, I plan to
> vigorously argue for scrapping all API extensions in v4 at the Juno
> summit. This practice has just gone on way too long...

So I think that would be a great idea.  I'd love for there to be
a cross project session on APIs. I'm sure the different projects have a lot
learn from each other and I think OpenStack as a whole would really benefit
from having
more long term planning for the APIs so we all slowly converge to  be more
consistent
in both implementation and design.

Chris