[openstack-dev] [TripleO] [Tuskar] Deployment Management section - Wireframes

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Mon Jan 13 23:55:28 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Walls, Jeffrey Joel (Cloud OS R&D)'s message of 2014-01-13 06:54:11 -0800:
> > From: Jaromir Coufal [mailto:jcoufal at redhat.com]
> >> On 2014/10/01 19:02, Dougal Matthews wrote:
>
> > > - If I remove some instances, do I as the administrator need to care
> > > which are removed? Do we need to choose or be informed at the end?
> > This is great question on which we have long debates. I am convinced that I as
> > administrator, do care which nodes I want to free up.
> >
> > But current TripleO approach is using heat template and there we can just
> > specify number of nodes of that specific role. So it means that I decrease from
> > 10 to 9 instances and app will take care for us for some node to be removed
> > (AFAIK heat removes the last added node).
> >
> > So what we can do at the moment (until there is some way to specify which
> > node to remove) is to inform user, which nodes were removed in the end... at
> > least.
> >
> > In the future, I'd like to enable user to have both ways available - just decrease
> > number and let system to decide which nodes are going to be removed for him
> > (but at least inform in advance which nodes are the chosen ones). Or, let user to
> > choose by himself.
>
> Should a defect be filed against Heat then?  If I have a system that is currently running
> my app server and heat comes along and deprovisions it (simply because it happened
> to be running on the system that was spun up last), I'm going to be quite upset.

Yes indeed, there are a number of bugs in this area and I think they're
so fundamental to our problems in TripleO that I haven't even taken the
time to file these bugs, which I should probably do.

Basically what we need is two changes:

1) Check for an already deleted server before deleting any. This is
related to stack convergence:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/stack-convergence

This will allow users to just delete a server they want to delete,
and then update the template to reflect reality.

2) Allow resources to be marked as critical or disposable. Critical
resources would not ever be deleted for scaling purposes or during
updates. An update would fail if there were no disposable resources.
Scaling down would just need to be retried at this point.

With those two things, TripleO can make the default "disposable" for
stateless resources, and "critical" for stateful resources. Tuskar would
just report on problems in managing the Heat stack. Admins can then
control any business cases for evacuations/retirement of workloads/etc
for automation purposes.

Eventually perhaps we could use Mistral to manage that, but for now,
I think just being able to protect and manually delete important nodes
for scale down is enough. Perhaps Tuskar could even pop up a dialog
showing them and allowing manual selection.