[openstack-dev] [Neutron][IPv6] Subnet mode - API extension or change to core API?

Collins, Sean Sean_Collins2 at cable.comcast.com
Mon Jan 13 17:24:18 UTC 2014

Hi,

I posted a message to the mailing list[1] when I first began work on the
subnet mode keyword, asking if anyone had a suggestion about if it
should be an API extension or can be a change to the core API.

> I don't know if adding the "dhcp_mode" attribute to Subnets should be
> considered an API extension (and the code should be converted to an API
> extension) or if we're simply specifying behavior that was originally undefined.

In the months since, we have iterated on the commit, and have continued
working on IPv6 functionality in Neutron.

Nachi recently -1'd the review[2], saying that it needs to be an API
extension.

I disagree that it should be an API extension, since I have added
behavior that sets the subnet_mode keyword to default with the attribute
is not specified, for backwards compatibility. Any plugin that inherits
from the NeutronDbPluginV2 class will have backwards compatibility.

Suggestions?

[1]: http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-October/017087.html
[2]: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/52983/
--