[openstack-dev] [Nova] Some updates to nova-network code

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Mon Jan 13 16:55:23 UTC 2014

Greetings,

There has been much discussion about the future of nova-network.  While
a freeze is still in effect, I think we need to relax some of the
restrictions we have put in place as a part of this freeze.

Previously, we have been ignoring nova-network as we made architectural
enhancements to the rest of Nova.  This is starting to cause a bit too
much pain.  nova-network performance is the biggest Nova performance
problem related to recent gate instability.  More details here:

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-January/024052.html

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-January/024167.html

One of the architectural improvements we've held off on for nova-network
was updating it to use nova-objects and to use the nova-conductor
service.  For the performance reasons discussed in the linked thread
above, I think we need to move forward with this in nova-network.  I
have filed the following blueprint for this work:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/nova-network-objects

This is not an unfreeze of nova-network.  This is just a recognition
that we need to catch it up with the rest of Nova.

Russell Bryant