[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Dev] IDE extensions in .gitignore

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sat Jan 11 03:50:00 UTC 2014

On 2014-01-11 03:38:05 +0000 (+0000), Sam Harwell wrote:
> I believe my comment may have been [slightly] misinterpreted.

Sorry about that! The wording seemed unnecessarily proscriptive.

> I was simply saying that we shouldn't assume that contributors are
> allowed to alter their global configuration. When deciding on a
> policy for ignoring files, we should be careful to choose a policy
> that does not prevent those users from participating just as
> easily as users who are able to alter their global configuration.

I agree that's reasonable, and we should avoid making it hard for
anyone to commit whenever we can do so.

> The implication of this is that users who sit down to read a guide
> about getting started with making contributions to OpenStack
> shouldn't find instructions in it like "Add the following lines to
> ~/.gitignore...".

True, but the documentation could say, "You should avoid
accidentally committing autosave/backup and similar sorts of files
left behind by your development tools, and here are several possible
ways to do help ensure that..."
--
Jeremy Stanley