[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Building a new open source NFV system for Neutron

Luke Gorrie luke at snabb.co
Fri Jan 10 15:11:47 UTC 2014

Howdy Stackers!

We are developing a new open source Network Functions Virtualization
driver for Neutron. I am writing to you now to ask for early advice
that could help us to smoothly bring this work upstream into OpenStack
Juno.

The background is that we are open source developers working to
satisfy the NFV requirements of large service provider networks
including Deutsche Telekom's TeraStream project [1] [2]. We are
developing a complete NFV stack for this purpose: from the DPDK-like
traffic plane all the way up to the Neutron ML2 driver.

We are developing against Havana, we attended the Icehouse summit and
had a lot of great discussions in Hong Kong, and our ambition is to
start bringing running code upstream into Juno.

Our work is 100% open source and we want to work in the open with the
wider OpenStack community. Currently we are in "heads-down hacking
mode" on the core functionality, but it would be wonderful to connect
with the upstream communities who we hope to be working with more in
the future (that's you guys).

More details on Github:
https://github.com/SnabbCo/snabbswitch/tree/snabbnfv-readme/src/designs/nfv

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,
-Luke

[1] Ivan Pepelnjak on TeraStream:
http://blog.ipspace.net/2013/11/deutsche-telekom-terastream-designed.html
[2] Peter Löthberg's presentation on TeraStream at RIPE 67:
https://ripe67.ripe.net/archives/video/3/