[openstack-dev] Less option

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Jan 10 10:28:57 UTC 2014

Flavio Percoco wrote:
> On 09/01/14 23:56 +0100, Julien Danjou wrote:
>> I also think projects should try to minimize configuration options at
>> their minimum so operators are completely lost. Opening the sample
>> nova.conf and seeing 696 options is not what I would call user friendly.
>>
>> And also having working default. I know it's hard, but we should really
>> try to think about that sometimes.
>>
>> Sorry to hijack the thread a bit.
>
> IMHO, not a hijack!

It's a hijack, because it deserves a thread of its own, rather than be
lost in the last breaths of the configserver thread.

Adding a config option is a good way to avoid saying NO - you just say
"yes, not by default and enabled with a config option" instead. The
trouble begins when the sheer number of options make it difficult to
document, find and configure the right options, and the trouble
continues when you're unable to test the explosive matrix of option
combinations. Classifying options between basic and advanced are a way
to mitigate that, but not a magic bullet.

Personally I think we should (and we can) say NO more often. As we get
stronger as a dev community it becomes easier, and I think we see more
"opinionated" choices in younger projects. That said, it's just harder
for old projects which already have a lot of options to suddenly start
denying someone's feature instead of just adding another option...

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)