[openstack-dev] [nova][documentation][devstack] Confused about how to set up a Nova development environment

Brant Knudson blk at acm.org
Thu Jan 9 23:14:57 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 12:21 PM, Mike Spreitzer <mspreitz at us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Brant Knudson <blk at acm.org> wrote on 01/09/2014 10:07:27 AM:
>

> > When I was starting out, I ran devstack (
> http://devstack.org/ ) on
> > an Ubuntu VM. You wind up with a system where you've got a basic
> > running OpenStack so you can try things out with the command-line
> > utilities, and also do development because it checks out all the
> > repos. I learned a lot, and it's how I still do development.
>
> What sort(s) of testing do you do in that environment, and how?

Just running devstack exercises quite a bit of code, because it's setting
up users, project, and loading images. Now you've got a system that's set
up so you can add your own images and boot them using regular OpenStack
commands, and you can use the command-line utilities or REST API to
exercise your changes. The command-line utilities and REST API are
documented. There are some things that you aren't going to be able to do
with devstack because it's a single node, but that hasn't affected my
development.

>  Does your code editing interfere with the running DevStack?

Code editing doesn't interfere with a running DevStack. After you make a
change you can find the process's screen in devstack's and restart it to
pick up your changes. For example if you made a change that affects
nova-api, you can restart the process in the n-api screen.

 Can you run the unit tests without interference from/to the running
> DevStack?

Running unit tests doesn't interfere with DevStack. The unit tests run in
their own processes and also run in a virtual environment.

>  How do you do bigger tests?

For bigger tests I'd need a cluster which I don't have, so I don't do
bigger tests.

>  What is the process for switching from running the merged code to running
> your modified code?

I don't know what the merged code is? I use eclipse, so I create a project
for the different directories in /opt/stack so I can edit the code right
there.

>  Are the answers documented someplace I have not found?

Thanks,
> Mike

Not that I know of... the wiki pages are editable, so you or I could update
them to help out others.

- Brant