[openstack-dev] [TripleO][Tuskar] Domain Model Locations

Jay Dobies jason.dobies at redhat.com
Thu Jan 9 17:22:09 UTC 2014

I'm trying to hash out where data will live for Tuskar (both long term
and for its Icehouse deliverables). Based on the expectations for
Icehouse (a combination of the wireframes and what's in Tuskar client's
api.py), we have the following concepts:

= Nodes =
A node is a baremetal machine on which the overcloud resources will be
deployed. The ownership of this information lies with Ironic. The Tuskar
UI will accept the needed information to create them and pass it to
Ironic. Ironic is consulted directly when information on a specific node
or the list of available nodes is needed.

= Resource Categories =
A specific type of "thing" that will be deployed into the overcloud.
These are static definitions that describe the entities the user will
want to add to the overcloud and are owned by Tuskar. For Icehouse, the
categories themselves are added during installation for the four types
listed in the wireframes.

Since this is a new model (as compared to other things that live in
Ironic or Heat), I'll go into some more detail. Each Resource Category
has the following information:

== Metadata ==
My intention here is that we do things in such a way that if we change
one of the original 4 categories, or more importantly add more or allow
users to add more, the information about the category is centralized and
not reliant on the UI to provide the user information on what it is.

ID - Unique ID for the Resource Category.
Display Name - User-friendly name to display.
Description - Equally self-explanatory.

== Count ==
In the Tuskar UI, the user selects how many of each category is desired.
This stored in Tuskar's domain model for the category and is used when
generating the template to pass to Heat to make it happen.

These counts are what is displayed to the user in the Tuskar UI for each
category. The staging concept has been removed for Icehouse. In other
words, the wireframes that cover the "waiting to be deployed" aren't
relevant for now.

== Image ==
For Icehouse, each category will have one image associated with it. Last
I remember, there was discussion on whether or not we need to support
multiple images for a category, but for Icehouse we'll limit it to 1 and
deal with it later.

Metadata for each Resource Category is owned by the Tuskar API. The
images themselves are managed by Glance, with each Resource Category
keeping track of just the UUID for its image.

= Stack =
There is a single stack in Tuskar, the "overcloud". The Heat template
for the stack is generated by the Tuskar API based on the Resource
Category data (image, count, etc.). The template is handed to Heat to
execute.

Heat owns information about running instances and is queried directly
when the Tuskar UI needs to access that information.

Next steps for me are to start to work on the Tuskar APIs around
Resource Category CRUD and their conversion into a Heat template.
There's some discussion to be had there as well, but I don't want to put
too much into one e-mail.

Thoughts?