[openstack-dev] [oslo.config] Centralized config management

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Thu Jan 9 09:23:47 UTC 2014

On 08/01/14 17:13 -0800, Nachi Ueno wrote:
>Hi folks
>
>OpenStack process tend to have many config options, and many hosts.
>It is a pain to manage this tons of config options.
>To centralize this management helps operation.
>
>We can use chef or puppet kind of tools, however
>sometimes each process depends on the other processes configuration.
>For example, nova depends on neutron configuration etc
>
>My idea is to have config server in oslo.config, and let cfg.CONF get
>config from the server.
>This way has several benefits.
>
>- We can get centralized management without modification on each
>projects ( nova, neutron, etc)
>- We can provide horizon for configuration
>
>This is bp for this proposal.
>https://blueprints.launchpad.net/oslo/+spec/oslo-config-centralized
>
>I'm very appreciate any comments on this.

I've thought about this as well. I like the overall idea of having a
config server. However, I don't like the idea of having it within
oslo.config. I'd prefer oslo.config to remain a library.

Also, I think it would be more complex than just having a server that
provides the configs. It'll need authentication like all other
services in OpenStack and perhaps even support of encryption.

I like the idea of a config registry but as mentioned above, IMHO it's
to live under its own project.

That's all I've got for now,
FF

--