[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] Dynamic Meters in Ceilometer

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Wed Jan 8 16:39:19 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 11:16 AM, Ildikó Váncsa
<ildiko.vancsa at ericsson.com>wrote:

>  Hi Doug,
>

> See my answers inline.
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Ildiko

OK, I think some of the confusion is terminology. Who is a "project
administrator"? Is that someone with access to change ceilometer's
configuration file directly? Someone with a particular role using the API?
Or something else?

> In my view, we could keep the dynamic meter configuration bp with
> considering to extend it to dynamic configuration of Ceilometer, not just
> the meters and we could have a separate bp for the project based
> configuration of meters.
>

> Ceilometer uses oslo.config, just like all of the rest of OpenStack. How
> are the needs for dynamic configuration updates in ceilometer different
> from the other services?
>

> ildikov: There are some parameters in the configuration file of
> Ceilometer, like log options and notification types, which would be good to
> be able to configure them dynamically. I just wanted to reflect to that
> need. As I see, there are two options here. The first one is to identify
> the group of the dynamically modifiable parameters and move them to the API
> level. The other option could be to make some modifications in oslo.config
> too, so other services also could use the benefits of dynamic
> configuration. For example the log settings could be a good candidate, as
> for example the change of log levels, without service restart, in case
> debugging the system can be a useful feature for all of the OpenStack
> services.

I "misspoke" earlier. If we're talking about meters, those are actually
defined by the pipeline file (not oslo.config). So if we do want that file
re-read automatically, we can implement that within ceilometer itself,
though I'm still reluctant to say we want to provide API access for
modifying those settings. That's *really* not something we've designed the
rest of the system to accommodate, so I don't know what side-effects we
might introduce.

As far as the other configuration settings, we had the conversation about
updating those through some sort of API early on, and decided that there
are already lots of operational tools out there to manage changes to those
files. I would need to see a list of which options people would want to
have changed through an API to comment further.

Doug