[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Installing from packages in tripleo-image-elements

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Tue Jan 7 23:26:04 UTC 2014

One of the major features using a distro over upstream gives is integration.
rhel6 behaves differently then ubuntu 13.10. Sometimes it takes a while to fix upstream for a given distro, and even then it may not even be accepted because "the distro's too old, go away". Packages allow a distro to make sure all the pieces can work together properly. And quickly patch things when needed. Its kind of a fork but not quite the same thing. The distro integrates not just OpenStack, but all its dependencies and their dependencies all the way up. For example there can be subtle issues if neutron, open vswitch and the kernel are out of sync. It is the integration that folks like about distro's. "I can trust that since it came from X, all the pieces should work together, or I know who to call".

The only way I can think of to get the same stability out of just source is for Triple-O to provide a whole source distro and test it, itself. More work then it probably wants to do. Or pick just one distro and support source only on that. Though if you pick the wrong distro, then you get into trust issues and religious wars. :/

Kevin