[openstack-dev] [OpenStack][Gantt][filters] AvailabilityZoneFilter in Gantt and Oslo

Jay Lau jay.lau.513 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 14:13:13 UTC 2014

Greetings,

Here come a question related to AvailabilityZoneFilter.

A new project Gantt which is a common scheduler for OpenStack is now under
incubation, and now most of the code are get from nova scheduler.

I'm planning to make Gantt use common scheduler from oslo, and I think that
this is the right direction and it is better do this at this stage for
Gantt to make sure it has a good code base. But  AvailabilityZoneFilter has
different logic in oslo and Gantt.

In oslo, AvailabilityZoneFilter only handles availability_zone from
request_spec; but in Gantt, AvailabilityZoneFilter can handle
availability_zone from both request_spec and aggregation metadata, we
cannot sync AvailabilityZoneFilterfrom oslo to Gantt.

What about split the AvailabilityZoneFilter in Gantt to two filters, one is
AvailabilityZoneFilter which has same logic with oslo, the other we can
name it as AggregateAvailabilityZoneFilter which will only handle
availability_zone from aggregation metadata, this can make sure Gantt can
sync AvailabilityZoneFilter from oslo and make AvailabilityZoneFilter a
common scheduler filter for both Gantt and Cinder. What do you think?

Thanks,

Jay