[openstack-dev] [neutron][external networks] "neutron net-external-list" returns empty list after restart of neutron-server

rezroo reza at dslextreme.com
Sat Jan 4 21:25:27 UTC 2014

Hi all,
I'm testing the Havana devstack and I noticed that after killing and
restarting the neutron server public networks are not returned when
queried via horizon or command line, which in Grizzly devstack the query
returns the external network even after a quantum-server restart:

Basically, before killing neutron-server, executing the below command as
demo/demo/nova we have:

    /stack at host1:~$ neutron net-external-list //
    //+--------------------------------------+--------+------------------------------------------------------+//
    //| id                                   | name   |
    subnets                                              |//
    //+--------------------------------------+--------+------------------------------------------------------+//
    //| 16c986b3-fa3d-4666-a6bd-a0dd9bfb5f19 | public |
    f0895c49-32ce-4ba2-9062-421c254892ec 172.24.4.224/28 |//
    //+--------------------------------------+--------+------------------------------------------------------+//
    //stack@///host1/:~$ //
    /

After killing and restarting neutron-server we have:

    /stack@///host1/:~$ neutron net-external-list /

    /stack@///host1/:~$ /

I can get around this problem by making the "public" network/subnet
shared then everything starts working, but after that I'm not able to
revert it back to private again. In checking with grizzly version the
external "public" network is listed for all tenants even when it is not
shared, so making it shared is not a solution, only verification of what
the problem is.

First, I think this is a neutron bug, and want to report it if not
reported already. I didn't find a bug report, but if you know of it
please let me know.

Second, I am looking for documentation that explains the security policy
and permissions for external networks. Although by checking legacy and
current behaviour it seems that all tenants should be able to list all
external networks even if they aren't shared, I'm looking for
documentation that explains the thinking and reasons behind this
behaviour. Also confusing is if by default all tenants can see external
networks then what is the purpose of the "shared" flag, and why once a
network/subnet is shared it cannot be undone.

Thanks in advance.