[openstack-dev] [requirements] - taskflow preventing sqla 0.8 upgrade

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Fri Jan 3 23:53:53 UTC 2014

So another idea that was talked about on IRC.

Taskflow exposes entrypoints for these storage backends (like your storage
callback/interface idea).

It currently provides 3 such 'default' backends [sqlalchemy, file/dir
based, in-memory <--> mainly for testing].

A 4th one is in progress for icehouse (zookeeper based).

These backends are used to store intermediary 'flow/task' state (allowing
the taskflow engine to resume if an app crashes/stopped while doing stuff).

A couple ideas about this, since its already pluggable.

Split the sqlalchemy backend -> 'taskflow-sa' repo/new package. For those
projects that want to use this backend, they include it (still means
'taskflow-sa' package has a dependency on sqlalchemy of some version).
Another idea is to move the sqlalchemy dependency currently in taskflow
requirements.txt -> taskflow test-requirements.txt and for those projects
that want to use the sqlalchemy backend, they include the sqlalchemy
version themselves in there requirements.txt (taskflow keeps it in
test-requirements.txt so that it can run its unit/integration tests,
making sure the backend still works).

I'm not really sure which is the best, none seem super-great, but
sometimes u just work with what u got :-P