[openstack-dev] [requirements] - taskflow preventing sqla 0.8 upgrade

Ivan Melnikov imelnikov at griddynamics.com
Fri Jan 3 22:10:21 UTC 2014

On 04.01.2014 01:29, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 01/03/2014 04:17 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
[...]
>> That's what made me think of the solution. But isn't setuptools in fact
>> telling us that somehow the versions of things we expected to have
>> installed are no longer installed and so something *is* broken (even if
>> the versions of the installed libraries work together).
>
> It actually tells us that a human, somewhere, decided that their
> software did not work with some combination of other software, and that
> we are no longer able to correct their mistaken assumptions.
[...]

But sometimes humans are not wrong. For example, no released TaskFlow
version really works with SQLAlchemy >= 0.8 -- that was fixed only
recently (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/62661/).

I consider requirements to be part of the code, so if they are too
strict (or too broad), that must be fixed, in a usual opensource way:
via filing bug report, suggesting patch and so on.

Requirements should reflect reality, especially for libraries that are
intended to be useful outside of OpenStack, too. For example, current
TaskFlow requirement for SQLAlchemy is too strict, so we'll fix that,
and release new version with that fix.

--
WBR,
Ivan A. Melnikov