[openstack-dev] [requirements] - taskflow preventing sqla 0.8 upgrade

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Fri Jan 3 19:44:40 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Joshua Harlow <harlowja at yahoo-inc.com>wrote:

> Ok, I think I'm fine with that (although not really sure what that
> entails).
>
> What does the living under the 'oslo program' change?
>
> Does that entail getting sucked into the incubator (which seems to be what
> your graduating link is about).
>
> I don't think its a good idea for taskflow to be in the 'incubator'.
> Taskflow is meant to be just like any other 3rd party library.

No, as we discussed in Hong Kong, there's no reason to add taskflow to the
incubator.

Whether or not it needs to be part of the oslo program (or any other
program) is a separate question. I'm not opposed to bringing it in, but
didn't see the point when it came up at the summit.

I understand that moving taskflow into oslo would avoid the policy decision
we have in place to not do symmetric gating on unreleased versions of
things not "owned" by the OpenStack project. However, I don't know if we
want to be testing against the git head of libraries no matter where they
live. As fungi pointed out on IRC, gating against pre-release versions of
libraries may allow us to reach a state where the software works when
installed from git, but not from the released packages.

It seems safer to gate changes to libraries against the apps' trunk (to
avoid making backwards-incompatible changes), and then gate changes to the
apps against the released libraries (to ensure they work with something
available to be packaged by the distros). There are lots and lots of
version numbers available to us, so I see no problem with releasing new
versions of libraries frequently.

Am I missing something that makes that not work?

Doug