[openstack-dev] [nova] minimum review period for functional changes that break backwards compatibility

David Kranz dkranz at redhat.com
Fri Jan 3 16:30:20 UTC 2014

On 01/03/2014 08:52 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Tim Bell wrote:
>> Is there a mechanism to tag changes as being potentially more appropriate for the more ops related profiles ? I'm thinking more when someone proposes a change they suspect could have an operations impact, they could highlight this as being one for particular focus.
>>
>> How about an OpsImpact tag ?
> I think such a tag would help. That would encourage ops to start looking
> more regularly into proposed changes by highlighting the few reviews
> that are most likely to need their expertise.
>
> We could have that tag post reviews to the -operators ML (in the same
> way SecurityImpact posts to the -security ML), which would additionally
> reinforce the need for this list as a separate list from the openstack
> general list.

While this would be an improvement over the current situation, IMO we
are focused a bit too much here on "operators" vs others. I think we
need clearer guidelines on what an "incompatible change" is, and how to
balance "change it to something better" with "don't cause users upgrade
pain". There was a similar issue with API changes a while back and
providing the api stability guidelines really helped people understand
the issue better. Of course, similar to what Sean talked about, having
API tests in tempest that blocked incompatible api changes was probably
even more important.

  -David