[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Docker and TripleO

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Thu Jan 2 16:48:33 UTC 2014

On 2013-12-31 20:35, Robert Collins wrote:
> So, we've spoken about using containers on baremetal - e.g. the lxc
> provider - in the past, and with the [righteously deserved] noise
> Docker is receiving, I think we need to have a short
> expectation-setting discussion.
>
> Previously we've said that deploying machines to deploy containers to
> deploy OpenStack was overly meta - I stand by it being strictly
> unnecessary, but since Docker seems to have gotten a really good sweet
> spot together, I think we're going to want to revisit those
> discussions.
>
> However, I think we should do so no sooner than 6 months, and probably
> more like a year out.
>
> I say 6-12 months because:
>  - Docker currently describes itself as 'not for production use'
>  - It's really an optimisation from our perspective
>  - We need to ship a production ready version of TripleO ASAP, and I
> think retooling would delay us more than it would benefit us.
>  - There are going to be some nasty bootstrapping issues - we have to
> deploy the bare metal substrate and update it in all cases anyway
>    - And I think pushing ahead with (any) container without those
> resolved is unwise
>    - because our goal as always has to be to push the necessary
> support into the rest of OpenStack, *not* as a TripleO unique
> facility.
>
> This all ties into other threads that have been raised about future
> architectures we could use: I think we want to evolve to have better
> flexability and performance, but lets get a v1 minimal but functional
> - HA, scalable, usable - version in place before we advance.
>
> -Rob

No argument here.  I agree that it's an optimization and you know what
they say about premature optimization. :-)

I do wonder whether the ongoing discussion about where container support
should live in OpenStack is relevant to this as well.  Or would we not
intend to manage the TripleO containers using OpenStack?  If we _do_
then that is going to be a dependency too - we won't want to commit to
using containers until OpenStack as a whole has decided how we're going
to support them.

-Ben