[openstack-dev] [nova] minimum review period for functional changes that break backwards compatibility

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Jan 2 15:30:03 UTC 2014

On 2014-01-02 11:53:23 +0000 (+0000), Day, Phil wrote:
[...]
> I would suggest though that the criteria for core reviewers is
> maybe more slanted towards developers that operators, and that it
> would be worth considering if there is some way to recognised and
> incorporate the different perspective that operators can provide
> into the review process.

I don't think there's anything special about that. Some developers
may need to become more familiar with running the software and some
operators should probably get more comfortable with the source code
of the software they're using, but those are both good qualities in
a reviewer.

For many of us who started working as Unix sysadmins in the 1980s or
earlier, there was no hard line between a "developer" and an
"administrator" (though the term "operator" had a much different
connotation back then). This divisive mindset which has more
recently plagued the computing industry is primarily the result of
educational institutions and corporate management focusing on
skillset over-specialization, and has caused detrimental effects,
even damage, to our technical effectiveness as a culture. I see the
more recent "devops" movement as simply a return to the idea that
you run systems by writing and debugging software rather than
waiting for someone else to write/fix it for you.
--
Jeremy Stanley