[openstack-dev] asymmetric gating and stable vs unstable tests

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 20:52:09 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I'd like to point out how asymmetric gating is challenging for incubated
projects, and propose that there may be a way to make it less so.

For reference, incubated projects aren't allowed to have symmetric gating
with integrated projects. This is why our devstack and tempest tests are
"*-check-nv" in devstack and tempest, but "*-check" and "*-gate" in our
pipeline. So, these jobs are stable from Ironic's point of view because
we've been gating on them for the last month.

Cut forward to this morning. A devstack patch [1] was merged and broke
Ironic's gate because of a one-line issue in devstack/lib/ironic which I've
since proposed a fix for [2]. This issue was visible in the non-voting
check results before the patch was approved -- but those non-voting checks
got ignored because of an assumption of instability (they must be
non-voting for a reason, right?).

I'm not suggesting we gate integrated projects on incubated projects, but I
would like to point out that not all non-voting checks are non-voting
*because they're unstable*. It would be great if there were a way to
indicate that certain tests are voting for someone else and a failure
actually matters to them.

Thanks for listening,
-Deva

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/71996/

[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/76943<https://review.openstack.org/#/c/76943/1>/
 -- It's been approved already, just waiting in the merge queue ...