[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Tuskar CLI UX

Dougal Matthews dougal at redhat.com
Thu Feb 27 09:21:43 UTC 2014

On 26/02/14 19:43, Jay Dobies wrote:
> * Even at this level, it exposes the underlying guts. There are calls to
> nova baremetal listed in there, but eventually those will turn into
> ironic calls. It doesn't give us a ton of flexibility in terms of
> underlying technology if that knowledge bubbles up to the end user that
> way.

This is a good point, and it maybe highlights that when we don't
abstract away these concepts it becomes much harder for us to make
changes under the hood. Rather than handling that on our own we would
need to provide "migration" steps for people to follow.

> * This is a good view into what third-party integrators are going to
> face if they choose to skip our UIs and go directly to the REST APIs.
>

> I like the notion of OpenStackClient. I'll talk ideals for a second. If
> we had a standard framework and each project provided a command
> abstraction that plugged in, we could pick and choose what we included
> under the Tuskar umbrella. Advanced users with particular needs could go
> directly to the project clients if needed.
>
> I think this could go beyond usefulness for Tuskar as well. On a
> previous project, I wrote a pluggable client framework, allowing the end
> user to add their own commands that put a custom spin on what data was
> returned or how it was rendered. That's a level between being locked
> into what we decide the UX should be and having to go directly to the
> REST APIs themselves.
>
> That said, I know that's a huge undertaking to get OpenStack in general
> to buy into. I'll leave it more that I think it is a lesser UX (not even
> saying bad, just not great) to have so much for the end user to digest
> to attempt to even play with it. I'm more of the mentality of a unified
> TripleO CLI that would be catered towards handling TripleO stuffs. Short
> of OpenStackClient, I realize I'm not exactly in the majority here, but
> figured it didn't hurt to spell out my opinion  :)

There is a renewed effort to create a unified client for OpenStack. I'm
not sure if this exactly matches what your thinking but it may be worth
checking out. I've only seen it in passing. They seem to be in the early
stages but there is quite a bit of motivation/backing AFAICT.

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/SDK-Development/PythonOpenStackSDK