[openstack-dev] [nova] Future of the Nova API

Chris Behrens cbehrens at codestud.com
Wed Feb 26 22:04:38 UTC 2014

This thread is many messages deep now and I’m busy with a conference this week, but I wanted to carry over my opinion from the other “v3 API in Icehouse” thread and add a little to it.

Bumping versions is painful. v2 is going to need to live for “a long time” to create the least amount of pain. I would think that at least anyone running a decent sized Public Cloud would agree, if not anyone just running any sort of decent sized cloud. I don’t think there’s a compelling enough reason to deprecate v2 and cause havoc with what we currently have in v3. I’d like us to spend more time on the proposed “tasks” changes. And I think we need more time to figure out if we’re doing versioning in the correct way. If we’ve got it wrong, a v3 doesn’t fix the problem and we’ll just be causing more havoc with a v4.

- Chris