[openstack-dev] [nova] [glance] [heat] bug 1203680 - fix requires doc

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Wed Feb 26 19:09:47 UTC 2014

Dean Troyer <dtroyer at gmail.com> wrote on 02/26/2014 12:53:31 PM:

> Thanks for the updates, but I've massaged the project bits and
> restored/expanded the reasons to consider one or the other option.

Thanks for the further updates.  I have just one question about those. One
way to do both unit testing and system (integration) testing is to: git
clone your favorite project to make a working local repo somewhere on your
testing machine, edit and commit there, then use DevStack to create a
running system in /opt/stack using your modified project in place of the
copy at git.openstack.org.  I think this is what Sean Dague advocates
(based on his remarks earlier in this thread), have tried it myself, and
have documented it at
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Testing#Indirect_Approach .  I think
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Gerrit_Workflow#Project_Setup should
reference that somehow; I think the most direct approach would be to
generalize the title of
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Gerrit_Workflow#Unit_Tests_Only and
generalize the introductory remark to include a reference to
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Testing#Indirect_Approach .  Does this
make sense to you?

> That bug is closed and against Grizzly, is that the one you meant to
> reference?  I added a note about INSTALL_TESTONLY_PACKAGES to the
> wiki page above and it will be in the next rev of devstack.org.

Yes, I am referring to https://bugs.launchpad.net/devstack/+bug/1203680
--- and also to https://bugs.launchpad.net/devstack/+bug/1203723

As far as my experience goes, the fix to 1203680 would also cover 1203723:
the only thing I find lacking for nova unit testing in Ubuntu is
libmysqlclient-dev, which is among the testing requirements of glance (see
DevStack's files/apts/glance).

As far as I can tell, Sean Dague is saying the fix to 1203680 is wrong
because it binds unit testing to DevStack and he thinks unit testing
should be independent of DevStack.

Interestingly, installing DevStack with INSTALL_TESTONLY_PACKAGES set to
True will have a global side-effect and so will provide the unit testing
requirements even if the indirect procedure (
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Testing#Indirect_Approach) that Sean
advocates is used.  In this way the only tie between unit testing and
DevStack is that they be done on the same machine.  Maybe this is the way
to go?

Thanks,
Mike