[openstack-dev] Libvirt Resize/Cold Migrations and SSH

Jesse Pretorius jesse.pretorius at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 05:50:26 UTC 2014

On 25 February 2014 23:05, Solly Ross <sross at redhat.com> wrote:

> 1. to detect shared storage
> 2. to create the directory for the instance on the destination system
> 3. to copy the disk image from the source to the destination system (uses
> either rysnc over ssh or scp)
> 4. to remove the directory created in (2) in case of an error during the
> process
>
> So here's my question: can number 3 be "elminated", so to speak?  Having
> to give full SSH permissions for a file copy seems a bit overkill (we
> could, for example, run an rsync daemon, in which case
> rsync would connect via the daemon and not ssh).  Is it worth it?
>  Additionally, if we do not eliminate number 3, is it worth it to refactor
> the code to eliminate numbers 2 and 4 (I already have code
> to eliminate number 1 -- see https://gist.github.com/DirectXMan12/9217699
> ).

An implementation of rsync would seem to me like a deployer preference, and
some would perhaps prefer not to.

I would rather see rsync (via daemon) as an additional option than as a
wholesale replacement option. Perhaps over time the others can be
deprecated if they're not really being used and the rsync option becomes
selected.

Perhaps in the future other options would be preferred as well?