[openstack-dev] [Cinder] [Nova]Do you think volume force delete operation should not apply to the volume being used?

yunling yunlingzeng at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 26 05:28:25 UTC 2014

According to some further analysis, I tend to consider what I found out as a bug now... The execution flow of attaching a volume to an instance can be decoupled as the following steps: Step 1. Nova to Cinder: Volume reservation                  Volume status: attachingStep 2. Nova to Cinder: Connection initialization                 Volume status: attachingStep 3. Nova: Volume protocol checking                    Volume status: attachingStep 4. Nova connects to cinder-volume volume                Volume status: attachingStep 5. Nova adds a volume to a VM via libvirt. The VM can access this volume from now on.                                                                      Volume status: attaching (but we can do "force delete" now!!)Step 6. Nova to Cinder: Volume attaching and volume status update    Volume status: attached To verify that, I tested Nova and Cinder by force deleting a volume being attached to an instance and in "attaching" status.After the volume is deleted, Disk IO errors just happened (I used "fdisk -l" to test it). A screen snapshot is attached below.
 Moreover, disk info was still left as below:
Therefore, I think a "force delete" operation to a volume in "attaching" status is really risky. We need to get it fixed.
Thanks!From: zhangyu11 at huawei.com