[openstack-dev] need advice on how to supply automated testing with bugfix patch

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Tue Feb 25 22:40:06 UTC 2014

I'm in the process of putting together a bug report and a patch for
properly handling resource tracking on live migration.

The change involves code that will run on the destination compute node
in order to properly account for the resources that the instance to be
migrated will consume.

Testing it manually is really simple...start with an instance on one
compute node, check the hypervisor stats on the destination node,
trigger a live-migration, and immediately check the hypervisor stats
again.  With the current code the hypervisor doesn't update until the
audit runs, with the patch it updates right away.

I can see how to do a tempest testcase for this, but I don't have a good
handle on how to set this up as a unit test.  I *think* it should be
possible to modify _test_check_can_live_migrate_destination() but it
would mean setting up fake resource tracking and adding fake resources
(cpu/memory/disk) to the fake instance being fake migrated and I don't
have any experience with that.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Chris