[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Dev] [Cinder] Cinder driver verification

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Feb 24 08:59:42 UTC 2014

Boris Renski wrote:
> There are a couple of additional things we are working on driver
> verification front that, I believe, it is now time to socialize with the
> dev community:
>
> 1. In addition to the scare tactic of deprecating the code for those
> that don't test their drivers, we also want to implement a carrot-tactic
> of granting a trademark privilege to those that do. Specifically,
> storage vendors that have achieved Stage 4 or Thierry's ladder below,
> will have the right granted by the openstack foundation to publically
> endorse themselves as "OpenStack Verified Block Storage Vendors." I've
> spoken to the vast majority of the foundation board members about
> this as well as Mark and Jonathan, and, everybody appears to be onboard.
> I plan to formally have a foundation board discussion on this topic
> during the upcoming March 3rd board meeting and would like to gather the
> feedback of the dev community on this. So please.... feedback away...

The end result of the scare tactic will be that only tested drivers are
kept *in* OpenStack. The others might be compatible with OpenStack, but
they won't be shipped within the main code. So it's quite natural to me
if the "Block Storage vendors", "Network plugin vendors" and "Compute
hypervisor vendors" that fulfill 3rd-party testing requirements can call
their drivers a part of "OpenStack", and have trademark usage rules they
can use for public self-endorsement.

> 2. As a stepping stone to #1, we are working on implementing an
> interactive dashboard (not just for devs, but for OpenStack users as
> well) that will display the results of driver tests against trunk
> and stable dot releases pulled directly from CI even stream (mock
> attached). The way we are thinking of implementing this right now is
> next to each of the drivers in
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/CinderSupportMatrix, specify if the
> compatibility is "self-reported" or "verified." Verified will be a link
> to the dashboard for a particular driver kinda like in the mock.

This sounds especially useful as we go through steps 1-2 of the ladder,
and try to track the extent of our testing for current drivers.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)