[openstack-dev] supported dependency versioning and testing

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 20:48:54 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 1:42 PM, Mike Spreitzer <mspreitz at us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Ah, so the only distro regularly tested is Ubuntu 12.04?

Within the OpenStack Infrastructure Team -managed environment, generally
yes (with the addition of CentOS 6 for Py26 as noted in your quote below).
 However, that is not the only platform that testing is performed on and
certainly not the only platform that DevStack is supported on.

>  That's consistent with the other clues I am getting.  But it is
> inconsistent with the following remark found in
> http://devstack.org/overview.html :
>
> *The OpenStack Technical Committee (TC) has defined the current CI
> strategy to include the latest Ubuntu release and the latest RHEL release
> (for Python 2.6 testing).*

The bullet list immediately following gets very specific regarding our
distribution support policy.

devstack.org documents (sometimes confusingly as you've noted) only
DevStack itself.  CI uses DevStack as the primary install/configuration to
prepare for the Tempest tests, but is only one piece of that picture.  When
CI says they only test on Ubuntu LTS (I missed the letters LTS in that
quote too) that doesn't mean that DevStack is not tested only on LTS.

There are a number of vendors performing their own CI testing for
configurations that are not covered by OpenStack CI tests, including other
distributions.

It may not be obvious to core developers, but for us newbies there is a lot
> of inconsistent and incomplete documentation of what to expect and how to
> do things --- and it is scattered in a variety of places, easy to miss
> some; it really is a drag on a beginner's time.  I am trying to point out
> and fix doc problems as I discover them, but am not myself so sure what all
> the right answers are.

Thaks for helping.  OpenStack is huge; I've got the benefit of having
learned it as it grew.  We need this kind of input from fresh eyes to help
flush out the inconsistencies that I know I am blind to.

dt

Dean Troyer
dtroyer at gmail.com