[openstack-dev] [Heat][docs] Need more sample HOT templates for users

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Fri Feb 21 17:42:15 UTC 2014

Zane Bitter <zbitter at redhat.com> wrote on 02/21/2014 12:23:05 PM:

> Yeah, we are overloading the term 'developer' here, since that section
> contains both information that is only useful to developers working on
> Heat itself, and information useful to users developing templates.

At the highest levels of the OpenStack documentation, a distinction is
made between cloud users, cloud admins, and developers.  Nobody coming at
this from the outside would look under developer documentation for what a
cloud user --- even one writing a Heat template --- needs to know: cloud
users are obviously application developers and deployers and operators.

> I'm not sure if this is forced because of an OpenStack-wide assumption
> that there is only API documentation and developer documentation?
>
> We ought to split these up and make the difference clear if we can.

Forget the "if".  If we don't want to have to mentor every new user, we
need decent documentation.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1281691

Regards,
Mike