[openstack-dev] [nova][oslo] Changes to oslo-incubator sync workflow

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 01:13:27 UTC 2014

Hi All,

As many of you know most oslo-incubator code is wildly out of sync.
Assuming we consider it a good idea to sync up oslo-incubator code
before cutting Icehouse, then we have a problem.

Today oslo-incubator code is synced in ad-hoc manor, resulting in
duplicated efforts and wildly out of date code. Part of the challenges
today are backwards incompatible changes and new oslo bugs. I expect
that once we get a single project to have an up to date oslo-incubator
copy it will make syncing a second project significantly easier. So
because I (hopefully) have some karma built up in nova, I would like
to volunteer nova to be the guinea pig.

To fix this I would like to propose starting an oslo-incubator/nova
sync team. They would be responsible for getting nova's oslo code up
to date.  I expect this work to involve:
* Reviewing lots of oslo sync patches
* Tracking the current sync patches
* Syncing over the low hanging fruit, modules that work without changing nova.
* Reporting bugs to oslo team
* Working with oslo team to figure out how to deal with backwards
incompatible changes
  * Update nova code or make oslo module backwards compatible
* Track all this
* Create a roadmap for other projects to follow (re: documentation)

I am looking for volunteers to help with this effort, any takers?

best,
Joe Gordon