[openstack-dev] [QA] Service dependency decorators in tests

Frittoli, Andrea (HP Cloud) frittoli at hp.com
Wed Feb 19 11:24:28 UTC 2014

Hi Boris,

Matt leads this effort - the bp is
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tempest/+spec/add-service-tags

andrea

From: Boris Pavlovic [mailto:bpavlovic at mirantis.com]
Sent: 18 February 2014 17:18
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [QA] Service dependency decorators in tests

Hi,

I will be glad to help with this part! It shouldn't be too much work to
handle this.

Who will lead this thing?)

Best regards,

Boris Pavlovic

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 7:51 PM, Matthew Treinish <mtreinish at kortar.org
<mailto:mtreinish at kortar.org> > wrote:

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 09:42:43AM -0500, Sean Dague wrote:
> I'm +1 on that. Mostly it's just a lot of time, so hasn't been dealt
> with yet. Unless there is a completely pressing need, I'd rather see
> that happen right after icehouse release, because I'm concerned it will
> be a lot of changes coming in when people are trying to get other more
> critical things landed.

Yeah I agree with this too, however we said the same thing after havana
regarding service tags.

>       -Sean
>
> On 02/18/2014 09:33 AM, Frittoli, Andrea (Cloud Services) wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >

> > Scenario tests feature service dependency decorators in tests - so that
> > a test will run only if all required components are available.
> >
> > I think we should extend them to all tests, including the API ones. For
> > instance Nova image tests depend on Glance, cinder attach/detach tests
> > depend on Nova.

So originally the service tag decorator just added an attr and the intent
was
to just make it easy to filter by service. So, we only were adding the
decorator
to tests that touched the service that weren't in the namespace.
For example:

tests in: api.compute.image would not get an image tag

but if a test in: api.compute.volume touched glance then it should have the
decorator.

But, it was only recently that I added the skip function to the decorator
because it made sense to. I still think we should follow the same convention
for using the services decorators, even with skips as part of the decorator.
For the tests in directories that contain a service name we should raise
skips
for that service in the explicity. Since the directory calls out the service
it
should be implied that it's required so we don't need to bother tagging all
the
tests.

> > If there is agreement on that I'd happy to start a bp to track the test
> > tagging effort.

There has been one open since havana :)
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tempest/+spec/add-service-tags

-Matt Treinish