[openstack-dev] [Openstack-dev] [neutron] [ml2] Neutron and ML2 - adding new network type

Akihiro Motoki motoki at da.jp.nec.com
Wed Feb 19 10:26:25 UTC 2014

Hi,

I think you are trying to use different IP allocation algorithm
for a network based on some attribute of the network.
network_type of the provider network specifies how layer2 network
is segmented and ML2 type drivers are defined per network_type.
I think it is different from your need.

IMO it looks better to introduce a new attribute to select
IP allocation algorithm to "network" resource.
The idea of Pluggable IP allocation algorithms exists for
a long time in Neutron community but the progress is not good.
Once pluggable mechanism is implemented, we need a way to
map networks to IP allocation algorithms and this kind of
new attribute is one possible choice.

Thanks,
Akihiro