[openstack-dev] Storing license information in openstack/requirements

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Mon Feb 17 16:42:30 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 11:01 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> A year ago there was a discussion about doing a license inventory on
> OpenStack dependencies, to check that they are compatible with our own
> license and make sure any addition gets a proper license check.
>
> Back then I proposed to leverage the openstack/requirements repository
> to store that information, but that repository was still science-fiction
> at that time. Now that it's complete and functional, I guess it's time
> to revisit the idea.
>
> Should we store licensing information as a comment in the *-requirements
> files ? Can it be stored on the same line ? Something like:
>
> oslo.messaging>=1.3.0a4  # Apache-2.0

Tracking it in that file makes sense; I'm not sure about the proposed
syntax. Do we need to track any other info? Do we need to process the
license automatically to generate a report or something, where we would
want to know that the value was a license string and not a note of some
other sort?

It does look like the requirements file parser will ignore trailing
comments.

Doug