[openstack-dev] [neutron][policy] Using network services with network policies

Mohammad Banikazemi mb at us.ibm.com
Sun Feb 16 15:27:41 UTC 2014

During the last IRC call we started talking about network services and how
they can be integrated into the group Policy framework.

In particular, with the "redirect" action we need to think how we can
specify the network services we want to redirect the traffic to/from. There
has been a substantial work in the area of service chaining and service
insertion and in the last summit "advanced service" in VMs were discussed.
I think the first step for us is to find out the status of those efforts
and then see how we can use them. Here are a few questions that come to
mind.
1- What is the status of service chaining, service insertion and advanced
services work?
2- How could we use a service chain? Would simply referring to it in the
action be enough? Are there considerations wrt creating a service chain
and/or a service VM for use with the Group Policy framework that need to be
taken into account?

Let's start the discussion on the ML before taking it to the next call.

Thanks,

Mohammad