[openstack-dev] [All]Optional dependencies and requirements.txt

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Wed Feb 12 21:42:17 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 3:58 PM, Ben Nemec <openstack at nemebean.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is an issue that has come up recently in tripleo as we try to support
> more varied configurations.  Currently qpid-python is not listed in
> requirements.txt for many of the OpenStack projects, even though they
> support using Qpid as a messaging broker.  This means that when we install
> from source in tripleo we have to dynamically add a line to
> requirements.txt if we want to use Qpid (we pip install -r to handle deps).
>  There seems to be disagreement over the correct way to handle this, so Joe
> requested on my proposed Nova change that I raise the issue here.
>
> There's already some discussion on the bug here:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/heat/+bug/1225191 as well as a separate
> Neutron bug here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1225232
>
> If there's a better alternative to "require all the things" I'm certainly
> interested to hear it.  I expect we're going to hit this more in the future
> as we add support for other optional backends for services and such.

We could use a separate requirements file for each driver, following a
naming convention to let installation tools pick up the right file. For
example, oslo.messaging might include amqp-requirements.txt,
qpid-requirements.txt, zmq-requirements.txt, etc.

That would complicate the global requirements sync script, but not terribly
so.

Thoughts?

Doug