[openstack-dev] [Fuel][TripleO] NIC bonding for OpenStack

Andrey Danin adanin at mirantis.com
Tue Feb 11 16:42:46 UTC 2014

Hi Openstackers,

We are working on link aggregation support in Fuel. We wonder what are the
most desirable types of bonding now in datacenters. We had some issues (see
below) with OVS bond in LACP mode, and it turned out that standard Linux
bonding (attached to OVS bridges) was a better option in our setup.

I want to hear your opinion, guys. What types of bonding do you think are
better now in terms of stability and performance, so that we can properly
support them for OpenStack installations.

Also, we are wondering if there any plans to support bonding in TripleO,
and how you guys would like to see it be implemented? What is the general
approach for such complex network configurations for TripleO? We would love
to extract this piece from Fuel and make it fully independent, so that the
larger community can use it and we could work collaboratively on it. Right
now it is actually already granular and can be reused in other projects,
and implemented as a separated puppet module:
https://github.com/stackforge/fuel-library/tree/master/deployment/puppet/l23network
.

Some links with our design considerations:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/fuel-bonding-design

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/fuel/+spec/nics-bonding-enabled-from-ui

<https://blueprints.launchpad.net/fuel/+spec/nics-bonding-enabled-from-ui>

UI mockups:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw6txZ1qvn9CaDdJS0ZUcW1DeDg/edit?usp=sharing

Description of the problem with LACP we ran into:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/LACP_issue

Andrey Danin
adanin at mirantis.com
skype: gcon.monolake