[openstack-dev] [WSME] Can't install WSME 0.6 due to ipaddr library

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Fri Feb 7 16:31:15 UTC 2014

On Fri Feb  7 08:25:24 2014, Ilya Shakhat wrote:
> Hi Doug,
>
> I'm trying to install WSME 0.6, but today it fails due to inability to
> install ipaddr dependency.
>
> Pip output:
> Downloading/unpacking ipaddr (from WSME)
>   You are installing a potentially insecure and unverifiable file.
> Future versions of pip will default to disallowing insecure files.
>   HTTP error 403 while getting
> https://googledrive.com/host/0Bwh63zyus-UlZ1dxQ08zczVRbXc/ipaddr-2.1.11.tar.gz
> (from http://code.google.com/p/ipaddr-py/)
>   Could not install requirement ipaddr (from WSME) because of error
> HTTP Error 403: Forbidden
>
> ipaddr is distributed via Google Drive and it appears that the quota
> on file downloading is reached: "Sorry, you can't view or download
> this file at this time. Too many users have viewed or downloaded this
> file recently...." message is shown if url is opened in browser.
>
> The dependency was introduced by
> commit https://github.com/stackforge/wsme/commit/f191f32a722ef0c2eaad71dd33da4e7787ac2424
> ipaddr is used for IP validation purposes.
>
> Can ipaddr be replaced by some other library? I suspect the validation
> code should already exist at least in Neutron.

Hi Ilya,

I'm tripping over the very same issue right now.

I was able to obtain the file by copying it to my own Google Drive and
then downloading it, as a short-term workaround. But when I manually
install it, the venv installation still tries to download the Google
Drive version and fails. I'm still pretty new to pip; is there a way to
force it to use a different location? Is there any value in me making
the version I downloaded available to people?

--
Matt Wagner
Software Engineer, Red Hat