[openstack-dev] [Neutron][Extending] Binding/Restricting subnets to specific hosts & more

Joe Harrison joehazzers at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 15:06:41 UTC 2014

Hi,

(Scroll down for tl;dr)

Unfortunately due to networking constraints I don't have the leisure
of a large and flat layer two network.

As such, different compute nodes and network nodes will be in separate
distinct subnets on the same network.

There will be hundreds if not thousands of subnets, and it does not
seem very user friendly to create a one-to-one mapping between these
subnets and neutron network objects.

Is there a resilient way to restrict and map subnets to compute nodes
and network nodes (or nodes running neutron plugin agents) without
having to hack the IP allocation code to bits and extending/modifying
the existing code.

Further to this, for auditing and network configuration purposes,
information such as MAC address, IP address and hostname needs to be
forwarded to an external system via means of a proprietary API.

To do this, my idea was to create a separate special agent which
attaches to the messaging server and manages this workflow for us,
hooking in with a few RPC calls here and there and subscribing to the
needed messaging queues and exchanges, whilst also creating my own API
extension to manage this workflow.

Does anyone have any advice, pointers or (hopefully) solutions to this
issue beyond what I'm already doing?

tl;dr need to restrict subnets to specific hosts. Also need to manage
an external networking workflow with an API extension and special
agent.

Thanks in advance,
Joe