[openstack-dev] [heat] Sofware Config progress

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Thu Feb 6 06:06:02 UTC 2014

> From: Steven Dake <sdake at redhat.com>
> The crux of the problem is how do you obtain critical mass for
> custom one-off solutions?  Lets assume two possible solutions to
> this problem that these vendors could take.  If there are more,
> please feel free to explain them:
>
> 1) Implement a ReST server which the vendor's image talks to ReST
> server to obtain bootstrapping information
> 2) SSH into the machine from an external configuration server process

It looks to me like the OneConvergence guys had in mind

(3) Client is authorized by presenting a username/password pair, as
mentioned in the Puppet case (
https://puppetlabs.com/blog/managing-f5-big-ip-network-devices-with-puppet
) cited elsewhere in this thread; server authentication/authorization is
not a concern; conversation confidentiality either is not a concern or is
handled by the client/server protocol without additional configuration;
client is code running in the heat engine