[openstack-dev] [nova][ceilometer] ceilometer unit tests broke because of a nova patch

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Wed Feb 5 09:35:38 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 04 2014, Joe Gordon wrote:

> Ceilometer running a plugin in nova is bad (for all the reasons
> previously discussed),

Well, I partially disagree. Are you saying that nobody is allowed to run
a plugin in Nova? So what are these plugins in the first place?
Or if you're saying that Ceilometer cannot have plugins in Nova, I would
like to know why.

What is wrong, I agree, is that we have to use and mock nova internals
to test our plugins. OTOH anyone writing plugin for Nova will have the
same issue. To which extend this is a problem with the plugin system,
I'll let everybody thing about it. :)

> So what can nova do to help this?  It sounds like you have a valid use
> case that nova should support without requiring a plugin.

We just need the possibility to run some code before an instance is
deleted, in a synchronous manner – i.e. our code needs to be fully
executed before Nova can actually destroyes the VM.

--
Julien Danjou
;; Free Software hacker ; independent consultant