[openstack-dev] [glance][nova]improvement-of-accessing-to-glance

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 15:13:57 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-02-03 at 10:03 +0100, Flavio Percoco wrote:
> IMHO, the bit that should really be optimized is the selection of the
> store nodes where the image should be downloaded from. That is,
> selecting the nearest location from the image locations and this is
> something that perhaps should happen in glance-api, not nova.

I disagree. The reason is because glance-api does not know where nova
is. Nova does.

I continue to think that the best performance gains will come from
getting rid of glance-api entirely, putting the block-streaming bits
into a separate Python library, and having Nova and Cinder pull
image/volume bits directly from backend storage instead of going through
the glance middleman.

Best,
-jay