[openstack-dev] [TripleO] [Ironic] Roadmap towards heterogenous hardware support

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sun Feb 2 23:21:30 UTC 2014

On 3 February 2014 08:45, Jaromir Coufal <jcoufal at redhat.com> wrote:

>> However, taking a step back, maybe the real answer is:
>>
>> a) homogeneous nodes
>> b) document. . .
>>     - **unsupported** means of "demoing" Tuskar (set node attributes to
>> match flavors, hack
>>       the scheduler, etc)
>
> Why are people calling it 'hack'? It's an additional filter to
> nova-scheduler...?

It doesn't properly support the use case; its extra code to write and
test and configure that is precisely identical to mis-registering
nodes.

>>     - our goals of supporting heterogeneous nodes for the J-release.
>
> I wouldn't talk about J-release. I would talk about next iteration or next
> step. Nobody said that we are not able to make it in I-release.

+1

>> Does this seem reasonable to everyone?
>>
>> Mainn
>

> Well +1 for a) and it's documentation.
>
> However me and Robert, we look to have different opinions on what
> 'homogeneous' means in our context. I think we should clarify that.

So I think my point is more this:
 - either this iteration is entirely limited to homogeneous hardware,
in which case, document it, not workarounds or custom schedulers etc.
 - or it isn't limited, in which case we should consider the options:
   - flavor per service definition
   - custom scheduler
   - register nodes wrongly

-Rob