[openstack-dev] [nova] bp proposal: configurable-locked-vm-api

Jae Sang Lee hyangii at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 15:37:41 UTC 2014

A blueprint is being discussed about the configurable locked vm api.
 https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/configurable-locked-vm-api

The current implementation does check vm is locked using decorate func.
(@check_instance_lock)

For example)
    @wrap_check_policy
    *@check_instance_lock*
    @check_instance_cell
    @check_instance_state(vm_state=None, task_state=None,
                          must_have_launched=False)
    def delete(self, context, instance):
        """Terminate an instance."""
        LOG.debug(_("Going to try to terminate instance"),
instance=instance)
        self._delete_instance(context, instance)

When administrator want to change check vm is locked
(for example, he doesn't want to check vm is locked for reboot api.),
He must modify compute.api source code, remove decorate function
and restart service in this implementation.

I suggest admin configuration file for restricted API.
Administrator just modify conf file, doesn't need to modify source code,
and doesn't need to restart service. It will be separated from source code.
If conf file is not exist, api check logic will be executed so far.
There are no confusion.

I think this implementation is not critical,
but it can be useful for admin cloud service any better.

Can you take a small amount of time to discuss this blueprint?

Thanks a lot.