[openstack-dev] [api] Analysis of current API design

Everett Toews everett.toews at RACKSPACE.COM
Fri Dec 19 18:57:48 UTC 2014

I thought the analysis on service catalogs might attract some attention. ;)

More inline

On Dec 19, 2014, at 10:17 AM, Amit Gandhi <amit.gandhi at rackspace.com> wrote:

> How do the allocation of the service types in the service catalog get created.

AFAICT it’s arbitrary. Provider picks the string used in the service type.

> For example, looking at the link provided below for service catalogs [1], you have with Rackspace a service type of rax:queues (which is running zaqar).  However in devstack, zaqar is listed as “messaging”.  FWIW i think the rackspace entry came before the devstack entry, but there is now an inconsistency.
>
> How do new openstack related projects (that are not incubated/graduated) appear in the service catalog with a consistent service type name that can be used across providers with the confidence it refers to the same set of api's?

That’s what we’re hoping to achieve with guidelines around the service catalog. So when the provider goes to pick the strings used in the service catalog, there’s consistency.

> Is it just an assumption, or do we need a catalogue somewhere listing what each service type is associated with?

Yes. This is what would be part of the guideline.

> Does adding it to Devstack pretty much stake claim to the service type?

To date, this has been the case. The DevStack version of the service catalog sort of became a de facto standard. But not de facto enough and hence the inconsistency.

It’d be great to hear thoughts from Adam Y, Dolph M, and Dean T on the subject. I don’t think I have the full picture.

Thanks,
Everett