[openstack-dev] [Nova] Providing instance's guest OS with data (ssh keys, root password, hostname)

Dmitry Guryanov dguryanov at parallels.com
Fri Dec 19 14:11:57 UTC 2014

Hello,

If I understood correctly, there are 3 ways to provide guest OS with some data
(SSH keys, for example):

1. mount guest root fs on host (with libguestfs) and copy data there.
2. config drive and cloud-init
3. nova metadata service and cloud-init

All 3 methods do almost the same thing and can be enabled or disabled in nova
config file. So which one is preferred? How do people usually configure their
openstack clusters?

I'm asking, because we are going to extend nova/libvirt driver to support our
virtualization solution (parallels driver in libvirt) and it seems it will not
work as is and requires some development. Which method is first-priority and
used by most people?

--
Dmitry Guryanov