[openstack-dev] [FUEL] Bootstrap NTP sync.

Stanislaw Bogatkin sbogatkin at mirantis.com
Fri Dec 19 09:00:09 UTC 2014

Hi guys,

We have a little concern related to Fuel bootstrap node NTP sync. Currently
we trying to sync time on bootstrap node with master node, but problem is
that NTP protocol has long convergence time, so if we just install master
node and right after that try to start some bootstrap node - bootstrap
fails to sync time with master due to that fact that master doesn't appear
as "trust time source" at that moment.
How we can solve that problem:

1. We can start bootstrap long time after master (when master will
convergence it's time) - seems that it's a bad idea, cause master node
convergence time depends on upstream NTP servers and may be quite long -
user shouldn't wait so long time to just start bootstrap node.

2. We can use master local time as "trust" forcibly - actually, we already
do that for case when master is a bare metal node. We can do it for virtual
node too, it is not such bad idea as many can say, especially when master
node stratum will low (10-12).

3. We can mask return value for bootstrap node ntpdate service such way
that it always will return success - it's a dirty hack, it will calm down
customers, but it doesn't solve problem - time will be unsynced.

As for me - second option is best. What do you think about it?