[openstack-dev] oslo.db 1.2.1 release coming to fix stable/juno

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Dec 16 22:07:04 UTC 2014

On Dec 16, 2014, at 8:15 AM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:

> On Dec 15, 2014, at 5:58 PM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
>

>> On Dec 15, 2014, at 3:21 PM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The issue with stable/juno jobs failing because of the difference in the SQLAlchemy requirements between the older applications and the newer oslo.db is being addressed with a new release of the 1.2.x series. We will then cap the requirements for stable/juno to 1.2.1. We decided we did not need to raise the minimum version of oslo.db allowed in kilo, because the old versions of the library do work, if they are installed from packages and not through setuptools.
>>>
>>> Jeremy created a feature/1.2 branch for us, and I have 2 patches up [1][2] to apply the requirements fix. The change to the oslo.db version in stable/juno is [3].
>>>
>>> After the changes in oslo.db merge, I will tag 1.2.1.
>>
>> After spending several hours exploring a bunch of options to make this actually work, some of which require making changes to test job definitions, grenade, or other long-term changes, I’m proposing a new approach:
>>
>> 1. Undo the change in master that broke the compatibility with versions of SQLAlchemy by making master match juno: https://review.openstack.org/141927
>> 2. Update oslo.db after ^^ lands.
>> 3. Tag oslo.db 1.4.0 with a set of requirements compatible with Juno.
>> 4. Change the requirements in stable/juno to skip oslo.db 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3.
>>
>> I’ll proceed with that plan tomorrow morning (~15 hours from now) unless someone points out why that won’t work in the mean time.
>
> I just reset a few approved patches that were not going to land because of this issue to kick them out of the gate to expedite landing part of the fix. I did this by modifying their commit messages. I tried to limit the changes to simple cosmetic tweaks, so if you see a weird change to one of your patches that’s probably why.

That solution evolved into a third approach, which has taken most of the day to land.

We now have an oslo.db 1.0.3 with SQLAlchemy requirements that work with setuptools 8. stable/juno is currently capped to oslo.db>1.0.0,<1.3 but another change to move the cap down to <1.1 is in the queue right now [1]. This is a lower cap than the last tests we were running, but it has the benefit of providing a version of oslo.db that does not introduce any other requirements changes in stable/juno as 1.2.1 would have. More details are available in the etherpad we used for notes today [2], and of course please post here if you have questions.

Doug

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/142180/2
[2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/cloL2FzTRd