[openstack-dev] [glance] Option to skip deleting images in use?

Fei Long Wang feilong at catalyst.net.nz
Tue Dec 16 21:36:24 UTC 2014

Hi Chris,

Are you looking for the 'protected' attribute? You can mark an image
with 'protected'=True, then the image can't be deleted by accidentally.

On 17/12/14 10:23, Chris St. Pierre wrote:
> The goal here is protection against deletion of in-use images, not a
> workaround that can be executed by an admin. For instance, someone
> without admin still can't do that, and someone with a fat finger can
> still delete images in use.
>
> "Don't lose your data" is a fine workaround for taking backups, but
> most of us take backups anyway. Same deal.
>
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com
> <mailto:jaypipes at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Just set the images to is_public=False as an admin and they'll
>     disappear from everyone except the admin.
>
>     -jay
>

>     On 12/16/2014 03:09 PM, Chris St. Pierre wrote:
>
>         Currently, with delay_delete enabled, the Glance scrubber happily
>         deletes whatever images you ask it to. That includes images
>         that are
>         currently in use by Nova guests, which can really hose things.
>         It'd be
>         nice to have an option to tell the scrubber to skip deletion
>         of images
>         that are currently in use, which is fairly trivial to check
>         for and
>         provides a nice measure of protection.
>
>         Without delay_delete enabled, checking for images in use
>         likely takes
>         too much time, so this would be limited to just images that
>         are scrubbed
>         with delay_delete.
>
>         I wanted to bring this up here before I go to the trouble of
>         writing a
>         spec for it, particularly since it doesn't appear that glance
>         currently
>         talks to Nova as a client at all. Is this something that folks
>         would be
>         interested in having? Thanks!
>
>         --
>         Chris St. Pierre

> --
> Chris St. Pierre

Cheers & Best regards,
Fei Long Wang (王飞龙)
Senior Cloud Software Engineer
Tel: +64-48032246
Email: flwang at catalyst.net.nz
Catalyst IT Limited
Level 6, Catalyst House, 150 Willis Street, Wellington