[openstack-dev] [glance] Option to skip deleting images in use?

Chris St. Pierre chris.a.st.pierre at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 21:23:52 UTC 2014

The goal here is protection against deletion of in-use images, not a
workaround that can be executed by an admin. For instance, someone without
admin still can't do that, and someone with a fat finger can still delete
images in use.

"Don't lose your data" is a fine workaround for taking backups, but most of
us take backups anyway. Same deal.

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just set the images to is_public=False as an admin and they'll disappear
> from everyone except the admin.
>
> -jay
>

> On 12/16/2014 03:09 PM, Chris St. Pierre wrote:
>
>> Currently, with delay_delete enabled, the Glance scrubber happily
>> deletes whatever images you ask it to. That includes images that are
>> currently in use by Nova guests, which can really hose things. It'd be
>> nice to have an option to tell the scrubber to skip deletion of images
>> that are currently in use, which is fairly trivial to check for and
>> provides a nice measure of protection.
>>
>> Without delay_delete enabled, checking for images in use likely takes
>> too much time, so this would be limited to just images that are scrubbed
>> with delay_delete.
>>
>> I wanted to bring this up here before I go to the trouble of writing a
>> spec for it, particularly since it doesn't appear that glance currently
>> talks to Nova as a client at all. Is this something that folks would be
>> interested in having? Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Chris St. Pierre

Chris St. Pierre